As a real estate professional, it is important to have a polished appearance not only in person, but online as well. One way to appear professional online is by creating a LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn is a social-networking platform aimed at connecting business professionals with one and other as well as with businesses. With more than 75 million registered users, LinkedIn is a great way to connect with current and past colleagues as well as participate in group discussions with fellow real estate professionals.
Check out these five tips for creating and maintaining your profile on LinkedIn:
1. Make your profile personal but professional – When creating your profile, make sure you use a professional headshot or photo. This will be one of the first details someone sees! Also make sure your profile includes your skillset, any professional organizations you’re associated with and certifications you’ve earned.
2. Upload your email contacts – Once you’ve created your account, upload a CSV file of your email contacts and invite them to connect with you on LinkedIn.
3. Write and request recommendations – If you have a former colleague you had a good experience with, you can write a recommendation that will appear on their profile. In exchange, you can ask them to write a recommendation for you that will show up on your profile about their experience with you.
4. Join groups – Whether you’re interested in local real estate, home buying trends or buying land, there are several groups you can join that will allow you to interact with fellow LinkedIn users who are interested in the same subjects as you are. This is a great way to network and learn from those in your industry.
5. Stay active – It’s important to check your LinkedIn account on a regular basis to stay involved with groups, manage connection requests and check messages. Be sure to also post status updates on your profile – these can include Tweets from your Twitter account, blog posts or links to properties that are up for sale.
Are you on LinkedIn? How have you benefitted from this social networking site as a real estate professional?
Click here to connect with Southstar Communities on LinkedIn.