Thinking about going “green” in your home? Being “earth-friendly” goes beyond the recycling and solar power energy, it starts in your home. Now with summer in full swing, this is the best time to start making these changes in your home.
If you and your family are ready to make the step to go green, here are some easy tips to help get you started.
10 easy ways to “green” your home
Green up your appliances
- Get rid of that old refrigerator and opt for an energy efficient one. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, you refrigerator is one of the biggest energy hogs and most appliance use takes up about 18% of a typical home’s energy bill
Watch the temperature
- Be mindful of what your thermostat is during the day. Turn it down in colder weather and keep it higher in warmer weather
- Clean your filters
- Use ceiling fans instead of air conditioners
- Be mindful of how much water you are using during the day, especially during the summer months.
- Taking shorter showers and keeping the water off when you are brushing your teeth
- Start buying eco-friendly household cleaners that won’t be potentially toxic to you and your family
- These products will contain eco-friendly ingredients that will also perform effectively
- Or, simply try these at home remedies for cleaning: vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, plain soap, water, to save money
Use Energy Efficient Light
- Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL’s) use 66% less energy than a standard incandescent bulb and can last up to 10 times longer
Save a Tree, use less paper
- Buy unbleached paper
- Avoid using store bags and start bringing your own
- Remove yourself from junk mail lists
Reduce Plastics, Reduce Global Warming
- Reduce, re-use and recycle your plastics for one of the best ways to prevent global warming
Use Healthier Paint
- Many conventional paints contain toxic metals and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that can cause many air pollution and quality problems
- They can also cause negative health issues
- Use compost
- Use native plants as much as possible
- Stop using chemical pesticides
Here at SouthStar Communities, we help you locate beautiful homesites to build your dream home. We hope these green updates will be of assistance when you begin making “green” changes to your home!
Source: MSN – Real Estate (http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=13107876)