Purchasing a home is one of the biggest, most difficult decisions you’ll ever make. Southstar Communities wants to help get you into exactly the right property that fits your dreams, your budget, and your lifestyle. When you’re considering properties to purchase, here are just a few tips to help you make the best decision possible:
1. Visit at different times of the day. You need to see clearly how your home and land looks both during the day and the night. What seems like a quiet neighborhood during the day may transform into a hive of noisy activity in the evening when everyone returns home.
2. Drive around. Particularly if you’ll need to commute, it’s a great idea to drive through the neighborhood and its surrounding streets—even your entire route to work—during the same times of day that you’ll normally be doing it. Try to get a realistic picture of what kind of traffic you’ll be facing each day.
3. Do your homework. Read reviews, use online tools, and talk to neighbors and realtors. Make sure you’re getting what you think you are. Check online for reviews about the neighborhoods, the people, the schools; check everything that matters to you.
4. Learn what’s happening. Check local newspapers (and recent archives) for any proposed construction projects. It’s terrible to move into a wonderful new place you love, only to have the entire landscape marred as commercial properties you don’t want start popping up around you, or as convenient streets are rerouted.
5. Get to know the neighborhood association. Ask how active neighbors are in the association, and learn what the expectations and requirements are. The more you get to know your neighbors, the more likely they’ll be to look out for you and your family. Neighborhood associations are a great way to get to know influential neighbors, and even to get involved yourself in helping plan holiday events, block parties, and activities that will be fun for every family in the neighborhood.
You’re not just buying a house; you’re buying into a lifestyle. Be sure you see the whole package upfront. There are hundreds of considerations during a move, so be sure you think through everything that will affect you and your family. At Southstar Communities, we encourage our prospective residents to visit several times. We want you to be absolutely certain that you’ll be pleased and comfortable in your new surroundings. We can provide you with testimonials and references from residents already living in our planned communities, but don’t just take our word for it. We encourage you to read reviews online to see what other people are saying.
We’d love to visit with you about your needs and your dreams. Besides sharing opportunities with you that we have coming up in future developments, we can also tell you everything you need to know about our clubhouses, membership options, and homeowners’ association benefits.
Come back tomorrow, when we’ll list more things you should consider before buying!